Thursday, June 7, 2007

Trying to impress...


I moved out of my dad's place almost 6 years ago to go to University. Time went by, I graduated, I got my first job and I never moved back home. I have my own place with my little kitchen and I rarely see my dad - classes that I take, my work, his business and travelling get in the way. So, on those infrequent occasions that I see him and even more rare times when he comes over to my appartment, I try to bake something. Something to impress...


He eats everything and I tried everything. Muffins, cheesecakes, lemon swiss rolls, cream puffs, nutella mousse. He ate it, he liked it, he wasn't impressed. Finally, I asked him what kind of desserts he really likes. It was simple - chocolate. So this time I decided on something classic and easy - Chocolate Brownies with an added twist in the form of cherries.








A few hours before my dad came over last night, I realized that there's nothing in the fridge except for seven (7!!!) kinds of cheeses. So, I quickly mixed a batter for a Cheese Bread. It is so simple to make and it tastes so good! I ate it with sweet italian Amarena cherries and I also tried it with Orange Marmelade - amazing. It is something I am used to since childhood, salty and sweet together. To me it's a classic combination!

My dad came over with my brother, I served them tea with Cherry Brownies and Cheese Bread with various jams. My brother was impressed with both especially with the Cheese Bread. It turned out that my dad doesn't like baked goods with cheese. Did he like the brownies? Yes. Was he impressed? Hardly... Maybe it's time to stop trying to impress and just bake whatever I like. After all, we cannot impress everyone and we should respect it.


Cherry Brownies


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We would like to feature this brownie recipe on our blog. Please email sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if interested. Thanks :)

You can view our blog here:
http://blog.keyingredient.com/