Monday, July 2, 2007

A tasting menu and a little bit of baking...

Last Saturday we found ourselves at a very nice and pretty winery in the Niagara-on-the-Lake region. We tried a few wines and actually liked them. To be honest, I am not a fan of Ontario wines, but these were quite good. And then we decided to visit the restaurant at this winery - Terroir La Cachette. Their menu looked good and their tasting menu sounded intriguing, so we decided to give it a try.

The weather was good, the sun was warm, so we sat outside.


The dinner started with a very nice Baby Spinach Salad w/ Warm Truffled Wild Mushroom Vinaigrette, Sweet Pickled Beets & Pancetta Crisps which was paired with a wonderful Riesling wine.


Next we had a Bacon Wrapped Fowl Terrine w/ Rhubarb & Pink Peppercorn Confiture paired with a lovely red wine, but unfortunately I don't remember which one.


Then there was a Smoked & Glazed Rainbow Trout on Apple & Walnut Slaw w/ Maple Pommery Mustard Vinaigrette paired with another Riesling. I wasn't impressed with this dish at all. I actually didn't even finish the fish.


Next came the main course, which was a Pan Seared Berkshire Pork Tenderloin w/ Savory Juniper Berry and Niagara Cherry Compote & Espresso Jus. This was also paired with another red wine.


For dessert we had a really good Orange Creme Brulee with a nice glass of ice wine.



And Lattes to finish the dinner.


-------------------------------------------------

And I didn't bake for some time, so today I made a few things.

Tasty Goat Cheese and Sun-dried Tomato Filo Triangles and Cherry Filo Triangles. These I actually made a couple of weeks ago and froze them, so today I only had bake them and they were ready in no time. Good warm and cold as well.

And I found three bananas in my fridge (leftovers from those Grapefruit-Banana Smoothies I made), so I decided to give Banana Bread a try. Yes, it was my first banana bread. I've never made it before and now that I think of it, I am not sure if I've ever tried it either. It turned out not bad. Not bad at all...

Filo Triangles
Banana Bread

No comments: